Retailers both big and small can benefit from having a strong 12-month marketing plan up their sleeve. It’s time to ditch your random Facebook posting schedule and come up with a strategic marketing plan to make 2017 one of your most successful years. Let’s get started.
A new year, a new you – the start of the year is an ideal time to role out a new retail marketing plan to get your shoppers excited about a new year of fashion.
- The first thing to do is create a marketing budget so you can set boundaries and stay on top of finances.
- Before you can begin to market to your shoppers, you need to define who your shoppers are. Outline your target market by creating customer segments and defining what point of difference your store offers.
- Set up a free email marketing platform such as MailChimp and consider sending out a “Welcome to the New Year” email, e.g. New Year, New You: What style do you want to have in 2017?
- If you haven’t already got one, set up a blog on your website so you can start creating curated content to inspire your shoppers.
Aside from signalling the start of Easter and plenty of chocolate, March brings the start of autumn, one of the biggest months on the fashion calendar. Now is the perfect time to start promoting this year’s autumn trends.
- Write a blog post about the trending colours shoppers can expect to see in-store and on runways this autumn.
- Run targeted Facebook or Google ads promoting new styles for the cooler months ahead and link to your blog page, e.g. “Fall-ing for autumn: five new trends to try this season”.
- Consider running a shopper photo contest on Instagram – ask your shoppers to snap themselves in-store wearing a new autumn look with the hashtag #WantToWinIt for their chance to win the outfit.
The end of the financial year (EOFY) is coming, which means you probably have a lot of last season’s stock lying around that you’re eager to move. Now is a good time to promote some frugal retail therapy among your shoppers before tax time hits!
- Send out an email newsletter promoting your EOFY sale. Make sure you include plenty of product images of all your discounted stock to entice shoppers.
- Create and display in-store banners advertising the great EOFY discounts you’re offering.
- Consider offering extra EOFY incentives to move old stock including free shipping from your online store or buy-one-get-one-free offers.
- Write a blog post about new fashion trends, designers and styles you’ll be stocking in the new financial year.
- Make sure you’ve registered your store for free with Booodl to increase your discoverability – it’s one easy thing you can do to get more shoppers in-store for the EOFY bargains!
Winter brings frosty temperatures and another significant change in the world of fashion. Time to start promoting all those fabulous winter coats you’ve got in stock!
- Send out an email newsletter welcoming your shoppers to the winter season and promoting new winter stock.
- Write a blog post about staying warm and healthy in the coldest months of the year and tie it in with essential winter wardrobe fixtures.
Spring is in the air! So too is the excitement of the upcoming Melbourne Cup and Spring Racing season. Aside from new spring fashions trends, Fashions on the Field is a high priority for Australian fashion retailers.
- Run targeted Facebook or Google ads promoting the upcoming racing season, e.g. “Try out this year’s Fashions on the Field trends in-store now!”
- Put together a print catalogue of Melbourne Cup fashions from previous decades to inspire shoppers in-store. You could also create a downloadable catalogue and upload it to your website with the option for viewers to download it for free when they sign up to your newsletter.
- Get a video made of you/your staff creating DIY race day fascinators or modelling new fascinators you’ve got in-store. Upload it to Youtube, Instagram, Facebook or send it in this month’s newsletter.
Summer and Christmas go hand-in-hand come November and December. Celebrate the end of a (hopefully) successful year with more in-store and online promotions and shopping inspiration for the post-Christmas comedown. These two months are a good time to reflect on which marketing efforts throughout the year were the most successful and use them again to finish off the year and start planning for next year.
Register with us today to start increasing your shopper visits and sales with Store Discovery Optimisation.